COVID-19 vaccination in Burundi
|Date||October 18, 2021 (2021-10-18)|
COVID-19 vaccination in Burundi is an ongoing immunisation campaign against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), in response to the ongoing pandemic in the country. Burundi was one of the last nation states in the world to commence vaccination against COVID-19. This was mostly due to the government's refusal to vaccinate the population throughout most of 2021. In February 2021, Thaddee Ndikumana, the health minister of Burundi, said his country was more concerned with prevention measures. “Since more than 95% of patients are recovering, we estimate that the vaccines are not yet necessary,” local media reported.
In October 2021, however, the Burundian government announced that it had received delivery of 500,000 doses of the Chinese Sinopharm BIBP vaccine, and announced that it would begin inoculation. Targeted vaccinations subsequently started on 18 October 2021.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2021)
Burundi received a Chinese donation of 500,000 doses of the Sinopharm BIBP vaccine on 14 October and launched a targeted vaccination programme on 18 October 2021. By the end of the month 560 vaccine doses had been administered.
By the end of the month 1592 vaccine doses had been administered and 778 persons were fully vaccinated.
By the end of the month 6421 vaccine doses had been administered and 4453 persons were fully vaccinated (less than 0.1% of the target population).
Cumulative vaccinations in Burundi
- "Burundi says it doesn't need COVID-19 vaccines, at least yet". ABC News. Retrieved 12 July 2021.
- "Tanzania, Burundi not to get COVID-19 vaccine doses". www.aa.com.tr. Retrieved 15 October 2021.
- "In about-face, Burundi receives first Covid vaccines". France 24. 14 October 2021. Retrieved 15 October 2021.
- "Burundi launches COVID-19 vaccination drive". Reuters. 18 October 2021. Retrieved 24 October 2021.
- "owid/covid-19-data". GitHub. Retrieved 7 March 2021.
States with limited