COVID-19 vaccination in Nigeria
|Date||5 March 2021-present|
|Organised by||National Primary Health Care Development Agency|
|Outcome||2.34% of the Nigerian population received at least one dose|
|Part of a series on the|
COVID-19 vaccination in Nigeria is an ongoing immunization campaign against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), in response to the ongoing pandemic in the country. Vaccination began on 5 March 2021. As of 8 October 2021, 5,118,422 people have received their first dose a COVID-19 vaccine, and 2,359,781 people have received their second dose.
The second phase of the vaccination rollout began on 16 August.
Vaccines on order
|1||Health workers and supporting staff, frontline workers and first responders||In progress|
|2||Priority 1: Persons aged 60 years and above. |
Priority 2: Persons aged 50-59 years
|3||Persons aged 18-49 years with co-morbidities|
|4||The rest of the eligible population aged 18-49 years|
|Cumulative COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in Nigeria|
|1st dose 2nd dose|
Proportion vaccinated (1st dose)[a]
Proportion vaccinated (2nd dose)[b]
|COVID-19 vaccination in Nigeria by state, as of 8 October 2021|
|State||Total clients vaccinated (1st dose)||Total clients vaccinated (2nd dose)||Total Doses|
- Percentage of target reached = Total clients vaccinated (1st dose)/Total eligible population targeted for COVID-19 vaccination × 100%.
- Percentage of target reached = Total clients vaccinated (2nd dose)/Total eligible population targeted for COVID-19 vaccination × 100%.
- National Primary Health Care Development Agency (9 October 2021). "COVID-19 Vaccination Update: October 8th, 2021, in 36 States + the FCT. 5,118,422 of total eligible persons targeted for COVID-19 vaccination reached with first dose while 2,359,781 of total eligible persons targeted for COVID-19 vaccination reached with second dose (fully vaccinated). #YesToCOVID19Vaccine". Retrieved 10 October 2021 – via Facebook.
- Ritchie, Hannah; Ortiz-Ospina, Esteban; Beltekian, Diana; Mathieu, Edouard; Hasell, Joe; MacDonald, Bobbie; Giattino, Charlie; Appel, Cameron; Rodés-Guirao, Lucas; Roser, Max (5 March 2020). "Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations". Our World in Data. Retrieved 14 April 2021.
- "'Fantastic step forward': First COVAX vaccines arrive in Nigeria". Al Jazeera. 2 March 2021. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- "AstraZeneca vaccine: Latest update about Nigeria vaccination programme and important tins to know". BBC News Pidgin. 4 March 2021. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- @UNICEF_Nigeria (5 March 2021). "History is made! Dr. Cyprian Ngong, a Snr. Registrar at the National Hospital, Abuja is the first person to receive the #COVID19 vaccine in Nigeria. The vaccine was administered by @drfaisalshuaib, ED of @NphcdaNG during the flag-off of the #COVID19 vaccination drive in Abuja" (Tweet). Retrieved 25 April 2021 – via Twitter.
- "President Buhari calls for Nigerians to follow his vaccine lead". Reuters. 7 March 2021. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- Adebowale, Nike (22 March 2021). "Nigeria receives 300,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines from MTN – Official". Premium Times. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- Adebowale, Nike (6 April 2021). "Nigeria receives 100,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine from India". Premium Times. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- Adepoju, Paul (22 July 2021). "As Nigeria Runs Out of Vaccines, US Dose Donations Start to Arrive in Africa". Health Policy Watch. Retrieved 10 October 2021.
- "Nigeria to resume COVID vaccinations on Aug. 16". Reuters. 10 August 2021. Retrieved 10 October 2021.
- Rédaction Africanews (1 August 2021). "Nigeria receives four million Covid vaccine doses from the US". Africanews. Retrieved 10 October 2021.
- Erunke, Joseph (16 August 2021). "COVID-19: FG flags off Phase 2 vaccination rollout". Vanguard. Abuja. Retrieved 10 October 2021.
- Adebowale, Nike (8 October 2021). "Nigeria receives 501,600 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines from France". Premium Times. Retrieved 10 October 2021.
- National Primary Health Care Development Agency [@NphcdaNG] (12 April 2021). "Here's Nigeria's #COVID19 Vaccination Plan. We are currently in Phase 1. Other Phases will be announced in due course. #YesToCOVID19Vaccine" (Tweet). Retrieved 30 April 2021 – via Twitter.