COVID-19 pandemic in Yemen
|COVID-19 pandemic in Yemen|
|First outbreak||Wuhan, Hubei, China|
|Arrival date||10 April 2020|
(2 years, 3 months and 4 weeks)
The first confirmed case relating to the COVID-19 pandemic in Yemen was announced on 10 April 2020 with an occurrence in Hadhramaut. Organizations called the news a "devastating blow" and a "nightmare scenario" given the country's already dire humanitarian situation.
The country is seen to be extremely vulnerable to the outbreak, given the dire humanitarian situation due to the Yemeni Civil War, exacerbated by the ongoing famine, cholera outbreaks, and military blockade by Saudi Arabia and its allies. The Yemeni healthcare system has been "all but decimated" by the war, with many healthcare facilities destroyed by airstrikes and shelling and a lack of healthcare workers.
The first case was confirmed on 10 April, the patient was a 60-year-old man in the southern oil-producing region of Hadhramaut. He remains in stable condition. Authorities have since sealed off the port where the man worked and told other employees to self-isolate for two weeks. The neighbouring regions of Shabwah and al-Mahrah sealed their borders with Hadhramaut, where a 12-hour nightly curfew has been imposed.
On 23 April, Hadramout Governor Faraj Salmin Al-Bahsni said in an interview with Al-Arabiya television that the result of the last examination the person had undergone on 22 April after he recovered was negative.
Two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters there has been at least one confirmed case in Houthi-controlled Sanaa, but the movement's health ministry denied this and said all suspected cases had tested negative for COVID-19.
On 5 May, the government in the south reported 9 new infections, eight in Aden, along with one new death and one case in Hadhramaut. The Houthis reported their first case, a Somali national, who was found dead in a hotel in Sanaa on 3 May.
On 6 May, Yemen reported its first three cases, including a death in Lahij Governorate and another infection in Aden. The emergency coronavirus committee of Yemen's Saudi-backed government also said one COVID-19 patient diagnosed earlier in Taiz province had died.
On 8 May, Yemen reported nine new coronavirus cases in Aden, the interim headquarters of the government, including one death, and said a second person infected in the southern province of Lahaj had died.
On 28 May, a statement from the United Nations and its agencies outlined the dire impact COVID-19 had on Yemenis. Yemen's embattled health care system is near collapse due to the addition strain from COVID-19. Only half of health facilities are in operation, with most lacking personal protective equipment (PPE), oxygen supplies, and clean water. Most health-workers and front-line aid workers are reportedly working without protective equipment and salaries. A press release from the United Nation's Children Fund (UNICEF) indicated that another 5 million children had been put out of school due to school closures, adding to the already 2 million children who were out of school prior to the pandemic.
On June 24, the UN humanitarian chief, Mark Lowcock warned that Yemen will “fall off the cliff” without increased donations. He said that coronavirus was spreading swiftly across Yemen, and roughly a quarter of the country's confirmed cases have died. He warned many more people could die due to starvation, COVID-19, or cholera. Finally, he warned that the coronavirus pandemic is exacerbating the suffering of Yemenis.
On 29 June, the Yemeni Health Ministry reported 10 new cases of the disease and 304 nationwide deaths from the disease.
On July 14, authorities in territory controlled by Houthi rebels in Yemen announced an easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions, allowing the reopening of restaurants, parks and wedding venues, whilst encouraging the public to maintain a social distance and use hand sanitizer regularly.
Confirmed new cases per day
Confirmed deaths per day
COVID-19 Cases Reported in Yemeni Governorates
|COVID-19 Cases Reported in Yemeni Governorates|
|Amanat Al Asimah||871||412||280|
As a response to the growing threat, the Houthis declared the suspension of international flights on 15 March. Yemeni officials also stepped up to battle against the threat from the coronavirus.
After urging from the United Nations to pursue peace talks, the Saudi-led coalition in the civil war called a unilateral ceasefire beginning 9 April at noon, to support efforts to stop the virus's spread.
After the second case in Taiz Governorate was announced, the governor of Taiz announced on 2 May that he was closing the province's borders for two weeks, with the exception of supplies of food and other essential goods, in order to prevent the virus from spreading.
On 28 May, the United Nations and 16 other international humanitarian partners launched an emergency appeal to find US$2.41 Billion to fight COVID-19 in Yemen. Although only 10 of the nation's 22 governorates have reported confirmed cases at this time, a statement from the international humanitarian community indicated that the virus had already impacted most areas of the country. 30 of the 41 major UN Programs in Yemen are at risk of running out of money in the next few weeks if additional funding cannot be found.
On March 31, 2021, Yemen received the first batch of 360,000 coronavirus vaccine doses, a part of 1.9 million doses.
- "Novel Coronavirus COVID-19". Yemen Supreme National Emergency Committee for Covid-19. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- Ghobari, Muhammad. "War-ravaged Yemen confirms first coronavirus case, braces for more". Reuters. Retrieved 10 April 2020.
- "Yemen 'faces nightmare' as virus case confirmed". BBC News. 10 April 2020. Retrieved 12 April 2020.
- Shaker, Naseh (25 March 2020). "WHO warns Yemen of pending 'explosion' of COVID-19 cases". Al-Monitor. Archived from the original on 25 March 2020. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "COVID-19: Impact on Yemen". ACAPS. 23 March 2020. Archived from the original on 25 March 2020. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- Almutawakel, Radhya. "Yemen: First bombs, soon a coronavirus epidemic". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Yemen 'faces nightmare' as first coronavirus case confirmed". BBC. 11 April 2020. Retrieved 11 April 2020.
- "'It is still a mystery': War-hit Yemen struggles to trace COVID-19 infection". Reuters. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
- "Yemen reports first two deaths from coronavirus". Reuters. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "Yemen reports first two coronavirus deaths, braces for more". Reuters. Retrieved 30 April 2020.
- "Yemen records first coronavirus case in Taiz province as virus spreads". Reuters. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
- "Three new coronavirus cases in Yemen bring total confirmed to 10". Reuters. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- "Yemen records two new coronavirus cases in Hadhramout". Reuters. Retrieved 4 May 2020.
- "Yemen's Houthis report first coronavirus case with death in Sanaa hotel". Reuters. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- "Yemen reports first three coronavirus cases, one death in Lahaj province". Reuters. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- "Yemen reports nine new coronavirus cases in Aden, two more deaths". Reuters. Retrieved 8 May 2020.
- "Yemen's Houthis report new case of coronavirus in Sanaa". Reuters. Retrieved 9 May 2020.
- "Yemen: Humanitarians seeking $2.41 billion to keep aid flowing amid COVID-19 pandemic". UN News. 28 May 2020. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Remarks by UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore at joint press briefing on the humanitarian situation in Yemen". www.unicef.org. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Yemen: millions of children facing deadly hunger, amidst aid shortages and COVID-19". UN News. 26 June 2020.
- "Migrants blamed for coronavirus in Yemen, adding to already miserable situation". Minneapolis Star Tribune. 28 June 2020. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- "10 new COVID-19 infections reported in Yemen". menafn.com. 29 June 2020.
- Mayberry, Kate; Allahoum, Ramy; Alsaafin, Linah (14 July 2020). "UN chief warns coronavirus could set world back for years: Live". Al Jazeera. Archived from the original on 15 July 2020. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "@YSNECCOVID19" on Twitter
- "Yemen's Houthis suspend int'l flights over COVID-19 concerns – Xinhua". www.xinhuanet.com. Archived from the original on 16 March 2020. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "Preparing for the arrival of Covid-19 in Yemen". ACTED. 24 March 2020. Archived from the original on 25 March 2020. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- "As coronavirus spreads, U.N. seeks Yemen urgent peace talks resumption". Reuters. 2 April 2020. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Ceasefire begins in Yemen to help combat virus". BBC News. 9 April 2020. Retrieved 12 April 2020.
- "Yemen receives first batch of coronavirus vaccines". Arab News. 31 March 2021. Retrieved 31 March 2021.