Deep Water (2022 film)
|Directed by||Adrian Lyne|
|Based on||Deep Water|
by Patricia Highsmith
|Music by||Marcelo Zarvos|
|Distributed by||20th Century Studios|
Deep Water is an upcoming American erotic psychological thriller film directed by Adrian Lyne, based on the 1957 novel of the same name by Patricia Highsmith, from a screenplay by Zach Helm and Sam Levinson. The film stars Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas, with Tracy Letts, Rachel Blanchard, and Lil Rel Howery appearing in supporting roles, and marks Lyne's return to filmmaking after a 20-year absence since his last film Unfaithful (2002).
A married couple who have fallen out of love with each other begin playing deadly mind games against one another that begin seeing those around them dying.
- Ben Affleck as Vic Van Allen
- Ana de Armas as Melinda Van Allen
- Tracy Letts as Lionel Washington
- Rachel Blanchard as Maggie Connelly
- Lil Rel Howery as Nash Hall
- Finn Wittrock as Damon "Dom" Hart
- Jacob Elordi as Richard Chase
- Dash Mihok as Arthur Goggins
- Kristen Connolly as Jackie Connelly
- Jade Fernandez as Evelyn Hall
- Michael Braun as Jeff Peterson
- Michael Scialabba as Kevin Washington
The project began development in 2013, with Adrian Lyne set to direct and Fox 2000 Pictures set to finance. Fox 2000 sold the rights to New Regency in 2018. In August 2019, the project saw new developments; Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas agreed to star, with Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures agreeing to handle the distribution via their 20th Century Fox label. In October 2019, Tracy Letts and Rachel Blanchard joined the cast of the film.
Filming began in New Orleans on November 4, 2019, with the additions of Dash Mihok, Lil Rel Howery, Jacob Elordi, Kristen Connolly, Jade Fernandez and Finn Wittrock to the cast. In December 2019, Michael Braun joined the cast of the film.
Deep Water was originally scheduled to be released on November 13, 2020, but was delayed to August 13, 2021, and again to January 14, 2022. On December 9, 2021, it was taken off the release schedule. However, on December 13, 2021, it was reported that the film may move to a Hulu exclusive release in the United States and Amazon Prime Video exclusive release internationally.
- "DP Eigil Bryld Teams With Director Scott Z. Burns, Actor Adam Driver To Tell A Hero's Story In "The Report"". SHOOTonline.
- "Fastlane NextGen: Initial Certification Search" (Type "Deep Water" in the search box). Louisiana Economic Development. Retrieved May 10, 2020.
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (August 1, 2019). "New Regency Bringing Adrian Lyne Back To Directing With 'Deep Water;' Ben Affleck, Ana de Armas In Talks For Patricia Highsmith Adaptation". Deadline Hollywood. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation.
- Kroll, Justin (November 16, 2019). "Ridley Scott's 'The Last Duel' Gets the Greenlight as Disney Dates Multiple Titles". Variety. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation.
- Michael, Brendan (October 23, 2019). "Exclusive: Tracy Letts and Rachel Blanchard Join Ben Affleck in Thriller 'Deep Water'". Collider. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- "Current Productions". www.filmneworleans.org.
- Wiseman, Andreas; N'Duka, Amanda (November 14, 2019). "'Deep Water': Lil Rel Howery, Jacob Elordi & Dash Mihok Among Cast To Join Ben Affleck & Ana De Armas In Adrian Lyne Thriller, Cameras Roll". Deadline Hollywood. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation.
- N'Duka, Amanda (November 25, 2019). "Finn Wittrock Cast In New Regency Thriller 'Deep Water' Starring Ben Affleck". Deadline Hollywood. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation.
- N'Duka, Amanda (December 13, 2019). "Lodric D. Collins To Play Smokey Robinson In Aretha Franklin Biopic 'Respect'; Vincent Pastore Joins 'The Birthday Cake'; Michael Braun In 'Deep Water'". Deadline Hollywood. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 23, 2020). "'Black Widow' Jumps To Summer 2021 Spurring Marvel Pics Release Date Shift; 'West Side Story' Delayed A Year; 'Soul' Stays Theatrical". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- Rubin, Rebecca (March 23, 2021). "'Black Widow,' 'Cruella' to Debut on Disney Plus and in Theaters as Disney Shifts Dates for Seven Films". Variety. Archived from the original on March 23, 2021. Retrieved March 23, 2021.
- Welk, Brian (December 9, 2021). "'Deep Water' With Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas Pulled From Theatrical Release". TheWrap. Retrieved December 9, 2021.
- Palmer, Roger (December 13, 2021). ""Deep Water" Moving To Hulu". What's on Disney Plus. Retrieved December 13, 2021.