|9th Governor of Jharkhand|
18 May 2015 – 12 July 2021
|Chief Minister||Raghubar Das |
|Preceded by||Syed Ahmed|
|Succeeded by||Ramesh Bais|
|Member of Odisha Legislative Assembly|
|Preceded by||Laxman Majhi|
|Succeeded by||Shyam Charan Hansdah|
|Born||20 June 1958|
Baidaposi, Mayurbhanj, Odisha, India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Spouse(s)||Shyam Charan Murmu (deceased)|
|Alma mater||Rama Devi Women's University|
Other state offices
Draupadi Murmu (born 20 June 1958) is an Indian politician. She is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party. She is the official nominee of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance for the 2022 presidential election. She previously served as the ninth Governor of Jharkhand from 2015 to 2021. Coming from the state of Odisha, Murmu is the first governor of Jharkhand to complete the five year term, and the first person, belonging to a scheduled tribe, to be nominated to the post of President of India.
Draupadi Murmu was born in a Santali tribal family on June 20, 1958, in Baidaposi village of Mayurbhanj district in Odisha, to Biranchi Narayan Tudu.  Both her father and grandfather were village heads under the Panchayati Raj system.
Draupadi Murmu married Shyam Charan Murmu. The couple had two sons, both of whom died, and a daughter.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2022)
Murmu started out as a school teacher before entering state politics. She worked as an assistant professor at the Shri Aurobindo Integral Education and Research, Rairangpur and as a Junior Assistant at the irrigation department of the Government of Odisha.
Murmu joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in 1997 and was elected as the councillor of the Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat. She also served as the national vice-president of Bharathiya Janata Party Scheduled Tribes Morcha.
During the Bharatiya Janata Party and Biju Janata Dal coalition government in Odisha, she was the Minister of State with Independent Charge for Commerce and Transport from March 6, 2000 to August 6, 2002 and Fisheries and Animal Resources Development from August 6, 2002 to May 16, 2004. She is former Odisha Minister and an MLA from Rairangpur Assembly constituency in the years 2000 and 2004. She was conferred Nilkantha Award for best MLA by Odisha Legislative Assembly in 2007.
2022 presidential campaign
- "Draupadi Murmu, Former Jharkhand Governor, Is BJP's Choice For President". NDTV.com. Retrieved 21 June 2022.
- "BJP-led NDA names Draupadi Murmu, former governor of Jharkhand as candidate for presidential polls". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 June 2022.
- "Smt. Droupadi Murmu". Odisha Helpline. Archived from the original on 8 October 2020. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Draupadi Murmu may soon be the President of India: Know all about her". indiatoday.
- "Governor reaches out". Hindustan. Ranchi. 4 April 2018.
- "Who is Draupadi Murmu?". The Indian Express. 13 June 2017. Retrieved 22 June 2022.
- "Profile:The importance of being Droupadi Murmu". The Hindu.
- "Draupadi Murmu Jharkhand Guv". New Indian Express. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Narendra Modi government appoints four Governors". IBN Live. Archived from the original on 15 May 2015. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Draupadi Murmu sworn in as first woman Governor of Jharkhand-I News – IBNLive Mobile". IBN Live. 18 May 2015. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "Modi government names new governors for Jharkhand, five NE states". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Draupadi Murmu to be NDA's candidate for presidential polls". The Times of India. 21 June 2022. Retrieved 21 June 2022.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Draupadi Murmu.|