A home page (or homepage) is the main web page of a website. The term may also refer to the start page shown in a web browser when the application first opens. Usually, the home page is located at the root of the website's domain or subdomain. For example, if the domain is
example.com, the home page is likely located at
A home page is the primary web page that a visitor will view when they navigate to a website via a search engine, and it may also function as a
Good home page design is usually a high priority for a website; for example, a news website may curate headlines and first paragraphs of top stories, with links to full articles. According to Homepage Usability, the homepage is the "most important page on any website" and receives the most views of any page. A poorly designed home page can overwhelm and deter visitors from the site. One important use of home pages is communicating the identity and value of a company.
A homepage is oftentimes designed to catch attention, and as such, important elements are positioned at the top in a strict hierarchy of importance. Curating which content to display on a homepage, as to not overwhelm visitors, is important to a well-designed page.
One of the commonly found aspects of a homepage is a
A website with a wide hero image.
Homepage featuring a prominent hero image with logo and description overlaid.
A biographical website with a full-sized image.
- "What is a Home Page? – Definition from Techopedia". Techopedia.com. Retrieved 2022-08-10.
- "Start page". TheFreeDictionary.com. Retrieved 2022-08-10.
- Nielsen 2002a, p. 7.
- Nielsen, Jakob (12 May 2002b). "Top 10 Guidelines for Homepage Usability". nngroup.com. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Kalbach 2007, p. 106.
- Nielsen 2002a, p. 3.
- Nielsen 2002a, p. 1.
- Nielsen 2002a, p. 2.
- "How to structure your content for a better homepage". 99designs. 2015.
- Nielsen 2002a, p. 8.
- "Hero Images in Web Design: When, Why, and How to Use". Design4Users. January 4, 2021.
- Kirsch, Katrina (June 2, 2021). "Ultimate Guide to Hero Images [Best Practices + Examples]". blog.hubspot.com.
- Leva, Myles. "Hero Image: What it is, why you need one & how to create it". Pik Wizard.
- Stewart, Matt (February 18, 2019). "Everything You Need to Know About Website Carousels". The Creative Momentum.
- Babich, Nick (Aug 13, 2016). "Designing a User-Friendly Homepage Carousel". Medium.
- Coyier, Chris (Jan 10, 2020). "CSS-Only Carousel". CSS-Tricks.
- Holst, Jamie (April 30, 2019). "9 UX Requirements for a User-Friendly Homepage Carousel Design (If You Need One)". Baymard Institute.
- Campbell, Jennifer (2014). Web Design: Introductory. Cengage Learning. p. 76. ISBN 978-1-305-17627-0.
- Kalbach, James (2007). Designing Web Navigation. O'Reilly Media. p. 106. ISBN 978-0-596-55378-4.
- Nielsen, Jakob (2002a). Homepage usability : 50 websites deconstructed. Marie Tahir. [Indianapolis, IN].