Just Add Water (company)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Founded||24 October 2006|
Number of employees
Just Add Water (Development) Limited is an independent video game developer based in Leeds, UK. Founded by Stewart Gilray in 2006, Just Add Water has worked on different titles for the PlayStation 3 and PC, notably the Oddworld series. They have teamed up with Oddworld Inhabitants, to recreate the series in high definition as well as working on new installments in the series.
Just Add Water (Development), Ltd. was founded in 2006 by British career developer Stewart Gilray. The studio worked as a sub-contractor on a number of titles before moving onto its first unique project, Sony-published retro shooter Gravity Crash, in 2008. PS3 and PSP versions released in 2009/2010.
On 16 July 2010, Just Add Water announced they would start work on multiple Oddworld projects after signing a far-reaching contract with Lorne Lanning’s Oddworld Inhabitants to develop properties in the Oddworld franchise, a move Gilray describes as a “turning point” for the studio. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD, a conversion of the 2005 original, was released on 3 September 2010, updating Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath in HD with enhanced 720p visuals, more detailed character models, remastered dialogue, PlayStation Move Support and "additional bonus material."
A collection containing all four original games called the Oddbox, for Steam service was released on 20 December 2010. Both Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath made their debut on Windows PC with updates including Steamworks, which integrated new features including stats and Steam Achievements.in 2010 for PC, then a year later for PS3, and then PlayStation VITA in 2012.
Just Add Water released Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD for the PlayStation Network on 21 December in Europe and 28 December in North America. They have released an HD Remake of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD for the PlayStation Network which was released on 19 December in Europe and on Christmas Eve 2012 in North America.
Towards the end of development on Stranger’s Wrath HD, the team moved over to start development on what would become Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, VITA, PC, Mac and Linux.
Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty launched in July 2014 on PS4 to critical acclaim, with other platforms arriving in the months following. The title did well to beat its own 12 month sales prediction within 2 months of release.
One of the next new instalments is a 2D HD remake of the Abe's Oddysee game, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! came out in the Summer of 2014 (beating its own 12 month sales prediction within 2 months of release) and had a public showing of pre-alpha footage at Eurogamer Expo 2012. They have announced that they will complete Oddworld: Hand of Odd, which is a real-time strategy online game which was halted in the early 2000s, and it shall be released as a free-to-play title. Oddworld Inhabitants have also stated that 'Squeek's Oddysee' is in pre-production phases, with Just Add Water as the developer. In April 2015, Oddworld Inhabitants announced that an all-new remake of Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus is in the planning stages and more information about the project will be announced later.
From 2014 through to 2017 Just Add Water worked with new partners and clients, such as Paradox Interactive, Rising Star Games, Bossa Studios & Mike Bithell. This work was focused on porting various projects from PC to console, and assisting development of titles.
In 2017 Just Add Water completed work on Micro Machines World Series for Codemasters and moved into their new office in Leeds City Centre, and sought to expand their team to begin work on several new projects.
In March 2019 it was announced that Just Add Water would be partnering with Rebellion to release Sniper Elite VR, a standalone VR title for the Sniper Elite series that would be released for PlayStation VR, Oculus VR and Steam VR. Later that year, in October, the release of Ice Age Scrat’s Nutty Adventure for Outright Games on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch and PC occurred.
A teaser trailer for Doctor Who: The Edge of Reality was released in October 2020 by Maze Theory, with a release date for 2021.
Sniper Elite VR was released in July 2021, followed by the release of Doctor Who: The Edge of Reality in October of that same year, after a two week delay for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. The Nintendo Switch version was further delayed to November.
|2009||Gravity Crash||Multidirectional shooter||PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable|
|2011||Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD||First-person/Third-person action-adventure||PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Windows|
|2012||Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD||Platform||PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita|
|2014||Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!||Side-scrolling, Platform||PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbox One|
|2014||Gravity Crash Ultra||Multidirectional shooter||PlayStation Vita|
|2015||I Am Bread||Action-adventure, simulation||PlayStation 4, Windows, OS X, Xbox One, iOS, Android|
|2015||Volume||Stealth game||PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita|
|2016||Lumo||PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One|
|2016||Volume: Coda||Stealth game||PlayStation 4|
|2017||Micro Machines World Series||Racing||PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
|2019||Ice Age: Scrat's Nutty Adventure||Platform||PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Windows|
|2021||Sniper Elite VR||Virtual Reality First-Person Shooter||Oculus Quest, PSVR, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Valve Index|
|2021||Doctor Who: The Edge of Reality||Adventure||PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Windows|
|2021||BPM: Bullets Per Minute||First-person shooter||PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
- "Location". Just Add Water (Dev) Ltd.
- Gravity Crash - IGN, retrieved 10 December 2021
- "Gravity Crash announced for PlayStation Network". Videogamesblogger.com. 13 June 2009. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- Kietzmann, Ludwig (3 September 2010). "Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath remake coming to PS3 in 2011". Joystiq. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- - By Stephen Johnson (16 July 2010). "Just Add Water Working On Multiple Oddworld Projects". G4tv.com. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- "Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New N' Tasty! Revealed at Eurogamer Expo". Eurogamer. 30 September 2012.
- http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oddworld-abe-s-exoddus-remake-is-brewing/1100-6426606/ Gamespot Abe's Exxodus Remake Announced
- "Gravity Crash Ultra Coming to PS Vita". 6 June 2014.
- "Be a Piece of Bread in I Am Bread on the PS4". 4 June 2015.
- "Micro Machines World Series review". Eurogamer. 30 June 2017.
- "New Offices New Projects Bigger Team!". 23 June 2017.
- "Four New Sniper Elite Projects in Development". 14 March 2019.
- "Sniper Elite VR unveiled at E3 2019". 11 June 2019.
- "Ice Age: Scrat's Nutty Adventure Releases October 18th". 18 October 2019.
- "Doctor Who: The Edge Of Reality Console Game Coming In 2021". 12 October 2020.
- "Sniper Elite VR Releases July 8 For Quest, PSVR & SteamVR". 3 June 2021.
- "'Doctor Who: The Edge of Reality' launches today". NME. 14 October 2021.
- "Doctor Who: The Edge Of Reality Dev Cuts Deluxe Edition Cost And Apologises For Delays". 16 November 2021.
- "2021 Winners". TIGA. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- "VR Nominees at The Game Awards Include Lone Echo II, Sniper Elite VR & Hitman 3". VRFocus. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- ""Gravity Crash Ultra" Coming To PlayStation VITA". Just Add Water. 20 August 2013. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "I am Bread Delivers Fresh-Baked Gaming Goodness on PlayStation 4 This Summer". Just Add Water. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "I am Bread lands on Xbox One today". Just Add Water. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Oddworld developer handling PS4 and Vita versions of Mike Bithell's Volume". 1 July 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Console versions of Lumo developed by JAW!". 4 March 2016. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Volume: Coda - JAW Ltd". Just Add Water. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- Burke, Ron (8 July 2021). "Virtual DOPE Book -- Sniper Elite VR review". GAMING TREND. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- O'Connor, James (11 October 2020). "Doctor Who: The Edge Of Reality Is Coming Next Year, But It's Not An Entirely New Game". GameSpot. Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- "BPM: Bullets Per Minute". store.playstation.com. Retrieved 13 December 2021.