|Developer(s)||Laurent Sansonetti (Apple Inc.)|
0.12 / June 11, 2012
Mac OS X
|Type||Ruby programming language interpreter and compiler|
MacRuby is a discontinued implementation of the
MacRuby supported Interface Builder and shipped with a core library called HotCocoa to simplify Cocoa programming. MacRuby was also used as an embedded scripting language for Objective-C applications.
In May 2012, Laurent Sansonetti announced
Development on MacRuby effectively ended in late 2011, coinciding with the principal author's departure from Apple Inc. As of Jan 5 2015, The MacRuby project is no longer under active development; MacRuby does not work on Mavericks, the team having shifted their focus to a commercial RubyMotion product for iOS and OS X.
MacRuby was originally called "ruby+objc" and was developed by Laurent Sansonetti, who began work on it in late 2007. In March 2008, the first publicly available version, MacRuby 0.1, was announced on the official RubyTalk forum. Version 0.2 was released in June 2008, and implemented Ruby strings, arrays and hashes as native Cocoa types. In September 2008, MacRuby 0.3 was released and included the HotCocoa library as well as several HotCocoa example programs. In October 2008, Apple created its first MacRuby page on its Developer Connection website.
MacRuby 0.4 was released in March 2009, MacRuby 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 in January, May and October 2010 respectively. MacRuby 0.8, was released on December 13, 2010, 0.9 on February 25, 2011  0.10 on March 23, 2011, 0.11 on October 17, 2011, 0.12 on June 11, 2012.
- http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2012-June/008842.html MacRuby 0.12 release note
- http://forums.pragprog.com/forums/76/topics/687#posts-4160 Archived April 2, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Discussion of MacRuby as a replacement for RubyCocoa
- http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/10/macruby-embedding Embedding MacRuby For Application Scripting
- RubyMotion - About. RubyMotion.com. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- Readme.rdoc. Github.com. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- http://chopine.be/lrz/diary/2007-12-07_ruby-objc-Part-1.html Archived December 13, 2007, at the Wayback Machine Developer Laurent Sansonetti first discusses "ruby+objc" (which became MacRuby) on his blog
- http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/294485 Ruby-Talk: MacRuby 0.1 announcement
- "MacRuby". Archived from the original on October 30, 2008. Retrieved October 25, 2008. MacRuby 0.2 described at MacOS Forge
- "MacRuby". Archived from the original on October 19, 2008. Retrieved October 25, 2008. MacRuby 0.3 announcement
- "HotCocoa – MacRuby – Trac". Archived from the original on October 19, 2008. Retrieved October 25, 2008. HotCocoa Core Library page
- http://www.macruby.org/trac/browser/MacRuby/tags/0.3/sample-macruby/HotCocoa[permanent dead link] HotCocoa examples
- https://developer.apple.com/mac/articles/scriptingautomation/cocoaappswithmacruby.html MacRuby page at Apple Developer Connection
-  MacRuby 0.8 announcement
- http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2011-February/007227.html MacRuby 0.9 release notes
- http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2011-February/007228.html MacRuby 0.9
- http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2011-March/007389.html 0.10 - update
- http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2011-October/008168.html brace yourselves, 0.11 is coming!
- Official website
- MacRuby download
- Developing Cocoa Applications Using MacRuby
- MacRuby presentation during RubyConf 08 by Laurent Sansonetti (video)
- OS X Application Development with HotCocoa by Rich Kilmer (video)
- Introduction to MacRuby (slides)
- MacRuby to the Max presentation during RubyConf India 2010 by Brendan Lim (slides)
- MacRuby: The Definitive Guide
- MacRuby's Twitter account
- Fool's Ruby and Cocoa Workshop - MacRuby Archive
- MacRuby Core Data Tutorial
- Using MacRuby with Snow Leopard