Miecke Marie De Rijder
17 March 1939
|Died||3 May 2022 (aged 83)|
|Resting place||Tanah Kusir Cemetery, Kebayoran Lama, Jakarta|
(m. 1963; died 1995)
|Children||4, including Nia Zulkarnaen|
Miecke Marie De Rijder (17 March 1939 – 3 May 2022) was an Indonesian actress and model who won three Citra Awards.
Wijaya was born in Bandung, West Java, Dutch East Indies, on 17 March 1939. After graduating senior high school, she studied for some time at the National Theatre Academy of Indonesia in Jakarta. During this period she was active as a singer and actress; she had made her film debut in 1954 with Gagal.
In 1956 Wijaya rose to fame as one of the stars in Perfini's Tiga Dara. The film, directed by Usmar Ismail, saw Mieke play Nana, one of three sisters raised by their grandmother after their mother's death; in 2006 Ade Irwansyah of Tabloid Bintang wrote that Tiga Dara was the eleventh best Indonesian film of all time. Over the next five years she acted in thirteen films, including five in 1961 alone. Through the 1960s, while continuing to act in films, she was a member of Teguh Karya's Teater Populer (English: Popular Theatre), a stage drama troupe.
Through the 1970s and 1980s Wijaya acted in numerous films, including the religious Sembilan Wali (1985), the comedy Bing Slamet Koboi Cengeng (1974), the drama Ranjang Pengantin (1973), and the romances Badai Pasti Berlalu (1977) and Dr. Karmila (1977). In 1987 she acted in three productions.
After a four-year hiatus, during 1991 Wijaya acted in two films, Saat Kukatakan Cinta and Zig Zag (Anak Jalanan). This was followed by another long hiatus from featured films: the Indonesian film industry declined drastically in the early 1990s, and Wijaya began to concentrate on television series. As of 2013[update], her most recent feature film role was in Hanung Bramantyo's Ayat-Ayat Cinta.
Wijaya won two Citra Awards for Best Leading Actress, one in 1967 for Gadis Kerudung Putih and one in 1981 for Kembang Semusim. She also received a Citra Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1975 for her role in Ranjang Pengantin. In 1996 she received a Surjosoemanto Prize from the National Film Board in recognition of her lengthy career, and at the 2011 Bandung Film Festival she received a Lifetime Achievement award together with Deddy Mizwar.
She was married to fellow actor Dicky Zulkarnaen until his death of a stroke in 1995. The couple's daughter Nia Zulkarnaen (born 1970) was nominated for a Citra Award in 1991 for her role in Lagu Untuk Seruni.
Wijaya acted in over seventy films during her fifty-year career.
Awards and nominations
|Indonesian Film Festival||1967||Citra Award for Best Leading Actress||Gadis Kerudung Putih||Won|
|1975||Citra Award for Best Supporting Actress||Ranjang Pengantin||Won|
|1981||Citra Award for Best Leading Actress||Kembang Semusim||Won|
|Bandung Film Festival||2011||Lifetime Achievement Award||Won|
|Indonesian Movie Awards||2015||Won|
|Asian Television Awards||1996||Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Antara Jakarta dan Perth||Won|
- Filmindonesia.or.id, Mieke Wijaya.
- Filmindonesia.or.id, Tiga Dara.
- Irwansyah 2010, 25 film.
- Filmindonesia.or.id, Filmografi Mieke Wijaya.
- Filmindonesia.or.id, Penghargaan Mieke Wijaya.
- Kompas 2011, Jangan.
- The Jakarta Post 1999, Smoke.
- Filmindonesia.or.id, Nia Zulkarnaen.
- "Aktris Senior Mieke Wijaya Meninggal Dunia" [Senior Actress Mieke Wijaya Passes Away]. Detik.com (in Indonesian). 3 May 2022. Retrieved 4 May 2022.
- Hayati, Istiqomatul, ed. (3 May 2022). "Artis Senior dan Ibunda Nia Zulkarnaen, Mieke Wijaya Dikabarkan Meninggal" [Senior Artist and Nia Zulkarnaen's Mother, Mieke Wijaya Reportedly Passed Away]. Koran Tempo (in Indonesian). Retrieved 4 May 2022.
- Septina, Dian (4 May 2022). Firdaus, Iman (ed.). "Sebelum Meninggal Dunia, Mieke Wijaya Sempat Dirawat di RS karena Diabetes dan Kanker" [Before she died, Mieke Wijaya was hospitalized for diabetes and cancer]. Kompas TV (in Indonesian). Retrieved 4 May 2022.
- Fazarullah Harahap, M. Iqbal (4 May 2022). "Mieke Wijaya Meninggal Setelah Dirawat Sebulan Terakhir" [Mieke Wijaya Dies After Last Month of Treatment]. Detik.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 4 May 2022.
- "Deddy Mizwar Terima "Lifetime Achievement Award" FFB" [Deddy Mizwar Receives "Lifetime Achievement Award" FFB]. Antara News (in Indonesian). 7 May 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2022.
Experienced actor Deddy Mizwar and actress Mieke Widjaya were awarded the "Lifetime Achievement Award" of the 2011 Bandung Film Festival (FFB) (translated)
- Keteng Pangerang, Andi Muttya (19 May 2015). Maullana, Irfan (ed.). "Mieke Wijaya Dianugerahi Lifetime Achievement IMA 2015" [Mieke Wijaya Awarded the 2015 IMA Lifetime Achievement]. Kompas.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 4 May 2022.
- Irwansyah, Ade (23 April 2010). "25 film Indonesia Terbaik Sepanjang Masa" [25 Best Indonesian Movies of All Time]. Tabloid Bintang (in Indonesian). Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "Jangan Hanya di Gedung" [Don't Just Stay in Warehouses]. Kompas (in Indonesian). 14 May 2011. Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Filmografi Mieke Wijaya" [Filmography for Mieke Wijaya]. filmindonesia.or.id (in Indonesian). Konfiden Foundation. Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Mieke Wijaya". filmindonesia.or.id (in Indonesian). Konfiden Foundation. Archived from the original on 4 May 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Nia Zulkarnaen". filmindonesia.or.id (in Indonesian). Konfiden Foundation. Archived from the original on 4 May 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Penghargaan Mieke Wijaya" [Awards for Mieke Wijaya]. filmindonesia.or.id (in Indonesian). Konfiden Foundation. Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Smoke, but little fire, to draft bill". The Jakarta Post. 25 August 1999. Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Tiga Dara". filmindonesia.or.id (in Indonesian). Konfiden Foundation. Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2013.