|Alma mater||University of Waikato|
|Employer||Texas A&M International University|
Nereu Florencio "Ned" Kock is a
Kock holds a B.E.E. in Electrical Engineering from the
Kock is best known for employing biological evolution ideas to the understanding of human behavior toward technologies, particularly information technologies. He developed media naturalness theory, an evolutionary communication media theory. Kock is the writer of a popular blog on the intersection of evolution, statistics, and health.
He developed WarpPLS, a nonlinear variance-based structural equation modeling software tool. The underlying mathematics employed in WarpPLS builds on the method of path analysis, developed by the evolutionary biologist Sewall Wright. WarpPLS has been used to study a variety of topics, including nursing education, password security risks, software testing, customer satisfaction, accounting education, and web-based homework.
He has conducted research and written on the topic of academic plagiarism. His research and writings in this area have been discussed in The Chronicle of Higher Education, and contributed to considerable debate on the topic within the Association for Computing Machinery, and to the establishment of an ethics committee within the Association for Information Systems. He was Founding Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of e-Collaboration from 2004 to 2017.
Kock has also been a proponent of the use of
- Kock, N., Avison, D., & Malaurent, J. (2017). Positivist information systems action research: Methodological issues. Journal of Management Information Systems, 34(3), 754-767.
- Kock, N., Jung, Y., & Syn, T. (2016). Wikipedia and e-collaboration research: Opportunities and challenges. International Journal of e-Collaboration, 12(2), 1-8.
- Kock, N. (2009). Information systems theorizing based on evolutionary psychology: an interdisciplinary review and theory integration framework. MIS Quarterly, 33(2), 395-418.
- Kock, N. (Ed.). (2007). Information systems action research: An applied view of emerging concepts and methods. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag.
- Kock, N. (2006). Systems analysis & design fundamentals: A business process redesign approach. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Kock, N. (2005). Media richness or media naturalness? The evolution of our biological communication apparatus and its influence on our behavior toward e-communication tools. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 48(2), 117–130.
- Kock, N. (2004). The psychobiological model: Towards a new theory of computer-mediated communication based on Darwinian evolution. Organization Science, 15(3), 327–348.
- Kock, N., & Davison, R. (2003). Dealing with plagiarism in the IS research community: A look at factors that drive plagiarism and ways to address them. MIS Quarterly, 27(4), 511–532.
- Kock, N. (1999). A case of academic plagiarism. Communications of the ACM, 42(7), 96–104.
- "Ned Kock's Web page at Texas A&M International University". Tamiu.edu. November 21, 2018. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- "article on e-mail use". New York Times. July 5, 2001. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Science Daily news article on evolution and behavior toward technology". Sciencedaily.com. July 30, 2001. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "TRN Magazine news article on e-mail and mental effort". Trnmag.com. October 17, 2001. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Managers Online Magazine article on face-to-face versus e-mail communication (in Dutch)". Managersonline.nl. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Prometeu Magazine article on evolution and e-communication (in Portuguese)". Prometeu.com.br. Archived from the original on October 5, 2011. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Simon, A.F. (2006). Computer-mediated communication: Task performance and satisfaction. Journal of Social Psychology, 146(3), 349–379" (PDF). Heldref-publications.metapress.com. January 1, 1970. Retrieved January 6, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Health Correlator blog". Healthcorrelator.blogspot.com. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Kim, M.J., Park, C.G., Kim, M., Lee, H., Ahn, Y.-H., Kim, E., Yun, S.-N., & Lee, K.-J. (2012). Quality of nursing doctoral education in Korea: Towards policy development. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(7), 1494-1503" (PDF). Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Gebauer, J., Kline, D., & He, L. (2011). Password security risk versus effort: An exploratory study on user-perceived risk and the intention to use online applications. Journal of Information Systems Applied Research, 4(2), 52–62" (PDF). Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Zhang, X., Dhaliwal, J., & Gillenson, M.L. (2010). Organizing software testing for improved quality and satisfaction. Journal of Information Technology Management, 21(4), 1–12" (PDF). Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Garza, V. (2011). Online learning in accounting education: A study of compensatory adaptation. Laredo, TX: Texas A&M International University" (PDF). Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Khanlarian, C. (2010). A longitudinal study of web-based homework. Greensboro, NC: University of North Carolina at Greensboro" (PDF). Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- Glenn, David (December 17, 2004). "Special report of The Chronicle of Higher Education on plagiarism by academics". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Chronicle.com. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- Special Issue: Action Research in Information Systems, Journal of Management Information Systems.