Open Tree of Life
|BSD 2-clause (FreeBSD)|
The Open Tree of Life is an online
The project uses a supertree approach to generate a single phylogenetic tree (served at tree.opentreeoflife.org) from a comprehensive taxonomy and a curated set of published phylogenetic estimates.
The taxonomy is a combination of several large classifications produced by other projects; it is created using a software tool called "smasher". The resulting taxonomy is called an Open Tree Taxonomy (OTT) and can be browsed on-line.
The project was started in June 2012 with a three-year NSF award to researchers at ten universities. In 2015, a two-year supplemental award was made to researchers at three institutions.
- ^ "OpenTreeOfLife License".
- PMID 26385966.
- ^ "Assembling, Visualizing, and Analyzing the Tree of Life". National Science Foundation (NSF). Retrieved 2016-02-11.
- ^ Pennisi E (21 September 2015). "First comprehensive tree of life shows how related you are to millions of species". Science Magazine.
- ^ "opentree". Open Tree of Life developers.
- PMID 28765728.
- ^ "tree.opentreeoflife.org".