|Bishop Emeritus of San Diego|
|Appointed||April 22, 1989 (Coadjutor)|
|Installed||July 10, 1990|
|Term ended||September 18, 2013|
|Predecessor||Leo Thomas Maher|
|Ordination||December 18, 1963|
|Consecration||May 23, 1983|
by John Robert Roach, Loras Joseph Watters, and Paul Francis Anderson
|Born||September 18, 1938|
Arcadia, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Died||May 9, 2022 (aged 83)|
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Previous post(s)||Bishop of Duluth (1983–89)|
|Motto||Ego Sum Christi (English: "I Belong to Christ")|
Ordination history of
Robert Henry Brom
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Robert Henry Brom (September 18, 1938 – May 9, 2022) was an American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He served as bishop of the Diocese of Duluth in Minnesota, from 1983 to 1989, and as bishop of the Diocese of San Diego in Southern California from 1990 to 2013.
Early life and priesthood
Bishop of Duluth
On March 25, 1983, Pope John Paul II appointed Brom as bishop of the Diocese of Duluth. He was consecrated on May 23, 1983 by Archbishop John Roach at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Rosary in Duluth.
Bishop of San Diego
On September 7, 2007, the Diocese of San Diego agreed to a $200 million settlement to victims of childhood sexual abuse by priests serving in the diocese since its founding in 1935. Brom apologized to the victims and said that the offenders' histories would be made public.
Brom was responsible for the creation of two Catholic high schools:
- Mater Dei Catholic High School in Chula Vista, California, replacing Marian Catholic High School in Imperial Beach, California
- Cathedral Catholic High School in Carmel Valley, California, replacing University of San Diego High School in Linda Vista, California
Brom also created a pastoral center in San Diego after selling the former chancery building to the University of San Diego.
On January 4, 2012, the apostolic nuncio to the United States, Archbishop Carlo Vigano, announced that Pope Benedict XVI had appointed Auxiliary Bishop Cirilo Flores as coadjutor bishop to Brom in the diocese.
- "Bishop Robert Henry Brom [Catholic-Hierarchy]". www.catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 2022-01-21.
- http://www.diocese-sdiego.org/set.asp?link=bishop.htm&in=Bishops[dead link]
- Archibold, Randal C. (2007-09-08). "San Diego Diocese Settles Lawsuit for $200 Million". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2022-01-21.
- Los Angeles Times: "Orange County auxiliary bishop named Catholic bishop of San Diego" January 4, 2012
- Catholic News Agency: "Bishop Cirilo Flores to help oversee San Diego diocese" January 4, 2012