Roman Catholic Diocese of Duluth
Diocese of Duluth
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Duluth (Latin: Dioecesis Duluthensis) is a Roman Catholic diocese in Minnesota. The episcopal see is in Duluth, Minnesota. The diocese includes Aitkin, Carlton, Cass, Cook, Crow Wing, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, Pine and St. Louis Counties.
Sex abuse and bankruptcy
The Diocese of Duluth filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on December 7, 2015 after facing a nearly $5 million verdict, six lawsuits and a dozen additional claims stemming from child sexual abuse cases. In May 2019, the Diocese of Duluth agreed to pay $40 million to 125 plaintiffs suing the Diocese for allowing 37 priests to sexually abuse them.
The list of bishops of the diocese and their terms of service:
- James McGolrick (1889–1918)
- John Timothy McNicholas, O.P. (1918–1925), appointed Archbishop of Cincinnati
- Thomas Anthony Welch (1925–1959)
- Francis Joseph Schenk (1960–1969)
- Paul Francis Anderson (1969–1982), appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Sioux Falls
- Robert Henry Brom (1983–1989), appointed Coadjutor Bishop and later Bishop of San Diego
- Roger Lawrence Schwietz, O.M.I. (1989–2000), appointed Coadjutor Archbishop and later Archbishop of Anchorage
- Dennis Marion Schnurr (2001–2008), appointed Coadjutor Archbishop and later Archbishop of Cincinnati
- Paul Sirba (2009–2019)
- Daniel John Felton (2021–present) 
- Paul Francis Anderson (1968-1969)
- Lawrence Alexander Glenn (1956-1960), appointed Bishop of Crookston
Other priest of this diocese who became bishop
- Peter Michael Muhich, appointed Bishop of Rapid City in 2020
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Saint Paul and Minneapolis
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Duluth (Diocese) [Catholic-Hierarchy]". www.catholic-hierarchy.org.
- "Diocese of Duluth". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Diocese of Duluth". Giga Catholic. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Olsen, Tom (September 7, 2020). "Duluth bishop-elect resigns amid sexual abuse accusation". Duluth News Tribune. Retrieved May 15, 2021.
- "Diocese of Duluth files for bankruptcy". Duluth News Tribune.
- "Settlement reached in Duluth diocese church abuse cases". MPR News.
- "Rinunce e nomine". press.vatican.va.