SARS-CoV-2 Lambda variant
|Part of a series on the|
Lambda variant, also known as lineage C.37, is a variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. It was first detected in Peru in August 2020. On 14 June 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) named it Lambda variant and designated it as a variant of interest. It has spread to at least 30 countries around the world and is known to be more resistant to neutralizing antibodies compared to other strains. There is evidence that suggests the Lambda variant is both more infectious and resistant to vaccines than the Alpha and/or Gamma variant.
Amino acid mutations of SARS-CoV-2 Lambda variant plotted on a genome map of SARS-CoV-2 with a focus on the spike.
First samples of the Lambda variant were detected in Peru in August 2020 and by April 2021, over eighty percent of new cases of COVID-19 in Peru were from the new variant. In mid-June 2021, 90.6% of new COVID-19 cases in Arequipa and 78.1% of new cases in Cusco were the Lambda variant, according to the Peruvian Ministry of Health. By this time the Lambda variant had also spread throughout South America and was detected in twenty-nine countries in total, especially in Argentina, Chile and Ecuador. The WHO designated the Lambda variant as a "variant of interest" on 14 June 2021.
On 19 July 2021, Texas reported its first case of the Lambda variant. On 22 July 2021, Florida reported 126 cumulative confirmed cases of the Lambda variant. On 28 July 2021, University of Miami researchers announced random sampling showed 3 percent of COVID-19 patients in Jackson Memorial Health System and at University of Miami’s UHealth Tower were infected with it. On 5 August 2021, Louisiana reported its first case of the Lambda variant.
|Cases by country (Updated as of 23 August 2021) GISAID|
|Country||Confirmed cases||Collection date|
|Chile||1,489||13 July 2021|
|United States||848||5 August 2021|
|Peru||1,480||15 June 2021|
|Ecuador||194||20 July 2021|
|Mexico||189||14 July 2021|
|Spain||124||7 July 2021|
|Argentina||111||24 June 2021|
|Germany||87||13 July 2021|
|France||56||19 July 2021|
|Colombia||51||29 June 2021|
|Israel||25||9 May 2021|
|Switzerland||8||25 July 2021|
|Canada||26||21 June 2021|
|The Netherlands||3||11 July 2021|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||10||6 June 2021|
|Belgium||2||23 July 2021|
|United Kingdom||8||10 July 2021|
|Italy||12||26 June 2021|
|Brazil||7||21 June 2021|
|India||6||12 April 2021|
|Denmark||1||11 August 2021|
|Sweden||1||15 July 2021|
|South Africa||3||14 July 2021|
|Portugal||1||10 June 2021|
|Qatar||3||13 April 2021|
|Latvia||2||30 April 2021|
|Aruba||2||2 June 2021|
|Bolivia||1||2 June 2021|
|Uruguay||1||15 April 2021|
|Australia||1||3 April 2021|
|Lithuania||1||19 May 2021|
|Norway||1||7 July 2021|
|Estonia||1||1 April 2021|
|Russia||1||21 March 2021|
|Finland||1||31 May 2021|
|Turkey||1||8 February 2021|
|Bangladesh||1||20 March 2021|
|Japan||1||7 August 2021|
|Philippines||1||15 August 2021|
|Venezuela||2||5 May 2021|
|Mayotte||1||15 July 2021|
|El Salvador||3||30 April 2021|
|Guatemala||1||3 July 2021|
|Costa Rica||4||20 July 2021|
|World (44 countries)||Total: 4,763||Total as of 23 August 2021|
- "Tracking SARS-CoV-2 variants". World Health Organization. Retrieved 2021-06-17.
- "Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 15 June 2021" (PDF) (44 ed.). World Health Organization. 15 June 2021. Retrieved 2021-08-16.
Lambda has been associated with substantive rates of community transmission in multiple countries, with rising prevalence over time concurrent with increased COVID-19 incidence. The earliest sequenced samples were reported from Peru in August 2020.
- "Tracking SARS-CoV-2 variants". who.int. World Health Organization. Updated frequently.
- "Covid 19 coronavirus: Ultra-contagious Lambda variant detected in Australia". New Zealand Herald. 6 July 2021.
- "SARS-CoV-2 Lambda variant exhibits higher infectivity and immune resistance". bioRxiv Preprint Server for Biology. 28 July 2021.
- "COVID-19: Lambda variant may be more resistant to vaccines than other strains". World Is One News. 6 July 2021.
- "Lambda variant: What is the new strain of Covid detected in the UK?". The Independent. 6 July 2021.
- Mohammadi, Mehrdad; Shayestehpour, Mohammad; Mirzaei, Hamed (2021-07-01). "The impact of spike mutated variants of SARS-CoV2 [Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Lambda] on the efficacy of subunit recombinant vaccines". The Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases. 25 (4): 101606. doi:10.1016/j.bjid.2021.101606. ISSN 1413-8670.
- Acevedo, Mónica L.; Alonso-Palomares, Luis; Bustamante, Andrés; Gaggero, Aldo; Paredes, Fabio; Cortés, Claudia P.; Valiente-Echeverría, Fernando; Soto-Rifo, Ricardo (2021-07-01). "Infectivity and immune escape of the new SARS-CoV-2 variant of interest Lambda": 2021.06.28.21259673. doi:10.1101/2021.06.28.21259673v1. Cite journal requires
- Robertson, Sally (27 June 2021). "Lambda lineage of SARS-CoV-2 has potential to become variant of concern". news-medical.net. Retrieved 2021-07-05.
The Lambda variant also contained a novel deletion (Δ246-252) and multiple nonsynonymous mutations (G75V, T76I, L452Q, F490S, D614G, and T859N) in the gene that encodes the viral spike protein.
- "Spike Variants: Lambda variant, aka B.1.1.1". covdb.stanford.edu. Stanford University Coronavirus Antiviral & Resistance Database. 1 July 2021. Retrieved 2021-07-05.
- "WHO reports on Lambda: the new variant of COVID-19 that is affecting South America". Entrepreneur. 2021-06-17. Retrieved 2021-06-17.
- Acosta, Sebastián (2021-06-16). "Coronavirus en Perú | Minsa: El 90,6 % de los contagios en Arequipa se deben a la variante Lambda" [Coronavirus in Peru | Minsa: 90.6% of infections in Arequipa are due to the Lambda variant]. RPP (in Spanish). Retrieved 17 June 2021.
- Mendez, Rich (2021-06-16). "WHO says delta Covid variant has now spread to 80 countries and it keeps mutating". CNBC. Retrieved 2021-06-17.
- "Covid-19 Australia: Strain more transmissible than Delta hits Australia". News.com.au. 6 July 2021.
- EDT, Khaleda Rahman On 7/20/21 at 7:09 AM (2021-07-20). "Lambda COVID variant detected in Texas hospital". Newsweek. Retrieved 2021-07-22.
- "US, South American researchers monitoring Lambda COVID-19 variant as cases surge". Retrieved 2021-07-29.
- "New evidence shows the COVID-19 Delta variant rapidly rising". news.miami.edu. Retrieved 2021-07-29.
- WBRZ. "First cases of COVID Lambda variant reported in North Louisiana". WBRZ. Retrieved 2021-08-06.
- "Japan confirms first case of lambda variant infection". The Japan Times. 2021-08-07. Retrieved 2021-08-07.
- Garcia, Ma. Angelica (August 15, 2021). "First lambda variant case detected in the Philippines". GMA News. Retrieved August 15, 2021.
- "GISAID - hCov19 Variants". www.gisaid.org. Retrieved 2021-08-23.
- Press Release (August 15, 2021). "DOH, UP-PGC, and UP-NIH confirm additional COVID-19 variant cases including first case of Lambda variant". Department of Health, Government of the Philippines.