State Emergency Service of Ukraine
|Державна служба з надзвичайних ситуацій|
Headquarters building, Kyiv
|Headquarters||55, Honchar St, Kyiv|
|Employees||~60,000 in peace time|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Internal Affairs|
The State Emergency Service of Ukraine (Ukrainian: Державна служба України з надзвичайних ситуацій), until December 24, 2012 the Ministry of Emergencies of Ukraine (Ukrainian: Міністерство надзвичайних ситуацій України), is the main executive body tasked with carrying out state policy in the spheres of civil defence, rescue, creating and managing the system of insurance fund documentation, utilization of radioactive wastes, protection of population and territory in emergency situations, emergency prevention and response, liquidation in the aftermath, and the Chernobyl catastrophe.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2022))
The former ministry was created in 1996 with the merger of the state civil defense body and the Ukrainian ministry in charge of protecting the population from the consequences of the Chernobyl catastrophe. Until 1991, the latter was a state committee of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR, while state civil defense was part of the USSR's All-Union civil defense network.
In 2003, the ministry took over control of the firefighting service, previously under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (militsiya). The ministry had been part of the military reserve of the Ukrainian armed forces, but after the 2003 reform and fire services merger, all militarized formations were dissolved, and in 2005, the agency became officially non-military and focused on rescue services.
Until the administrative reform of December 9, 2010, the body was called Ministry of Ukraine in emergencies and the protection of the population from the consequences of the Chernobyl catastrophe. After the reform, three major central executive power bodies were directly subordinated to it:
- State service of mining supervision and industrial safety of Ukraine (Ukrainian: Державна служба гірничого нагляду та промислової безпеки України)
- State agency of Ukraine of the administration of the zone of alienation (Ukrainian: Державне агентство України з управління зоною відчуження)
- State inspection of technogenic safety of Ukraine (Ukrainian: Державна інспекція техногенної безпеки України)
- Other agencies
- State department of fire-prevention security (see firefighting)
- State search and rescue aviation service: Ukraviaposhuk
- State hydro-meteorological service
- State department of the insurance documentation fund of the Ministry
On December 24, 2012, the Ministry of Emergencies of Ukraine was transformed into the State Emergency Service and placed under jurisdiction of the Ministry of Defence. On 25 April 2014, the service was transferred to the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- Central Bureau of Emergency Situations
- State militarized mining rescue brigade (Kryvyi Rih)
- Dnipro militarized mining rescue brigade
- Ukrainian Hydro-meteorological Center
- Ukrainian Aviation Meteorological Center
- Main Aviation Coordination Center of search and rescue
- "Rescuer"-Inform Information Analytical Center
- Center of Civil Security 112
- Mobile Rescue Center (Kyiv)
- Odessa Sanatorium (Odessa)
List of Heads of the State Emergency Service
|Ministry||Name||Term of Office|
|Emergency Minister||Davyd Zhvania||February 4, 2005||September 27, 2005|
|Emergency Minister||Viktor Baloha||September 27, 2005||October 5, 2006|
|Emergency Minister||Nestor Shufrych||October 5, 2006||?|
|Ministry of Defense||Mykhaylo Bolotskykh||December 24, 2012||March 2, 2014|
|Ministry of Defense
Ministry of Internal Affairs
|Serhiy Bochkovsky||March 2, 2014||March 25, 2015|
|Ministry of Internal Affairs||Zoryan Shkiryak (acting)||March 25, 2015||May 14, 2015|
|Ministry of Internal Affairs||Mykola Chechotkin||May 14, 2015||November 10, 2021|
Former agency executives (prior to 2012 reorganisation)
List of former chiefs of State Civil Defense
|Prime-Minister(s)||Name||Term of Office|
|Vitold Fokin, Leonid Kuchma, Vitali Masol||Mykola Bondarchuk||August 24, 1991||October 1993|
|Vitali Masol, Yevhen Marchuk, Pavlo Lazarenko||Lt.Gen. Viktor Grechaninov||October 1993||May 1997|
List of Ministers of Emergencies
|Rank group||General/flag officers||Field/senior officers||Junior officers||Officer cadet|
|Генерал служби цивільного захисту України
General of Emergency Services
|Rank group||Senior NCOs||Junior NCOs||Enlisted|
Chief master sergeant
25 years in service
20 years in service
15 years in service
10 years in service
For bravery in an emergency
For honorable service
State Emergency Service Aviation
The Special Aviation Unit and Operational Rescue Service of the State Emergency Service (Спеціальний авіаційний загін оперативно-рятувальної служби цивільного захисту) is based in the city of Nizhyn.
The Special Aviation Unit can work independently or in cooperation with other State Emergency Service units to protect population and territory, material and cultural values and the environment during emergencies, especially for work performed under difficult conditions.
|An-30||Ukraine||Aerial Surveillance and Aerial Photography||2|
|Eurocopter EC145||France||Medevac Helicopter|
- Fire protection
- Fire safety
- Search and rescue
- State Emergency Service
- Ministry of Emergency Situations (Russia)
- "Official website". Mar 2017.
- Положення про Державну службу України з надзвичайних ситуацій, затв. Постановою КМ № 1052 (in Ukrainian).
- Interior minister's advisor Shkiriak appointed as acting head of Emergency Service – MP Heraschenko, Interfax-Ukraine (25.03.2015)
- "Management - SES of Ukraine". Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- Yanukovych appoints new Cabinet of Ministers, Kyiv Post (24 December 2012)
- "ДСНС перейшла в підпорядкування МВС DSNS has become subordinated to MIA" (in Ukrainian). Gazeta Lviv. 2014-04-25.
- Govt dismisses Chechotkin from post of State Emergency Service's head, Interfax-Ukraine (10 November 2021)
- Baloha resigns as emergencies minister, Kyiv Post (2 November 2012)
- Спеціальний авіаційний загін оперативно-рятувальної служби цивільного захисту ДСНС України
- "Ukraine to get four French helicopters for rescue operations by year-end". www.unian.info.