Chartiers Branch

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Chartiers branch of the

Southpointe, and Canonsburg
. It is 23.6 miles (38.0 km) long and construction was completed in 1867 and is still in use today, after passing through at least seven different owners.

History

. Chartiers Creek was determined to be the easiest route, but enough financial support was not gathered. The same happened in 1837.

On February 7, 1853, the Chartiers Valley Railroad was formed to fulfill the failed task of the Washington & Pittsburg Railroad. Work was started, but when almost a third done in 1856, funds ran out. The road foreclosed in 1861, and the Right of Way was sold to William Howard a solicitor for the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR).

Share of the Chartiers Railway Company, issued 8. July 1878

In 1867, the Chartiers Railway Company was founded, and with PRR backing finished the line. On December 19, 1870, regular service began between Carnegie and Canonsburg. May 18, 1871, saw the beginning of service to Washington.

The line was leased to the

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway (PC&StL) on December 8, 1871. The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad
(PCC&StL) gained the lease when it was formed and acquired the road on November 20, 1907. The PCC&StL formed part of the PRR system.

Although initially poor, coal fields found in the 1880s proved prosperous. The branch provided revenue even through

trackage rights
. Signals were also abandoned and removed at this time.

The

Penn Central, as it did for much of its main and secondary track, let the branch fall into disrepair. Conrail
took the line over in 1976 and stopped service west of Tylerdale. It was renamed Canonsburg Industrial Track and was put up for sale in 1994.

In 1996, RailTex bought the line and started the Pittsburgh Industrial Railroad (PIR). The PIR lasted for 4 years before being sold to the Ohio Central Railroad System, who formed the Pittsburgh and Ohio Central Railroad (POHC). The POHC is the current owner of the line.

Branches

Bridgeville and McDonald Branch

The

Venice
to serve the Bishop Coal Mine. It was abandoned in the early 1990s.

Westland Branch

The Westland Branch left Houston at MP 15.3 and went to Westland coal mine (Midland #3). It was abandoned in 1955.

Palanka Branches

Two branches left the Westland branch to serve the Palanka mines.

Connections

References

  • "Hobo's Guide to the Pennsy: Chartiers Branch". Keystone Crossings. Archived from the original on 2007-12-20.