Duane W. Roller
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source.(June 2021)
Duane W. Roller received his BA in Letters from the University of Oklahoma in 1966. In 1968 he received his MA in Latin from the same institution. He obtained his PhD in Classical archaeology from Harvard University in 1971.
Roller is a professor emeritus of Classics at the Ohio State University, retiring in 2007 but continuing lectures throughout the US. In 2008 he was granted a position as a Karl-Franzens Distinguished Professor of Cultural Studies at the University of Graz in Graz, Austria. He has led or participated in various archaeological excavations. These include Greco-Roman sites located in Greece, Italy, Turkey, Israel, Jordan, and northwestern Africa.
Roller is the author of various works, ranging from over two-hundred scholarly journal articles and twelve published books. These works include The Building Program of Herod the Great (1998), focused on Herod the Great of the Herodian kingdom of Judaea, and Cleopatra: a Biography (2010), recounting the early life, reign, and death of Cleopatra VII of Ptolemaic Egypt. His book Tanagran Studies (1989) focuses on the ancient city of Tanagra. He has also published material on the history of geography with his book Ancient Geography (2015).
Awards and grants
Roller has been the recipient of numerous rewards for academic work. These include four Fulbright Awards for his teaching roles in India, Poland, Malta, and Austria. He has also received grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the National Geographic Society.
- The Building Program of Herod the Great, California University Press, 1998.
- The World of Juba II and Kleopatra Selene: Royal Scholarship on Rome's Asian Frontier, Routledge, 2003.
- Through the Pillars of Herakles: Greco-Roman Exploration of the Atlantic, Routledge, 2006.
- Cleopatra: A Biography, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Ancient Geography: The Discovery of the World in Classical Greece and Rome, I.B.Tauris, 2015.
- A Historical and Topographical Guide to the Geography of Strabo, Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Cleopatra's Daughter: And Other Royal Women of the Augustan Era, Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Empire of the Black Sea: The Rise and Fall of the Mithridatic World, Oxford University Press, 2020.
- Arts and Sciences Web Services (2018). "Duane W. Roller: Professor Emeritus, Emeriti." Department of Classics, Ohio State University. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Hindley, Meredith (July–August 2010). "Impertinent Questions with Duane W. Roller." Magazine of the National Endowment for the Humanities, Volume 31, Number 4. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Duane W. Roller, Professor Emeritus of Classics." Office of Academic Affairs, Ohio State University. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "The Building Program of Herod the Great." University of California Press. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Simmons, Tracy Lee (April 1, 2010). "As I Am Egypt’s Queen." The New York Times. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- King, Carol J. "Cleopatra: A Biography by Duane W. Roller (review)." Project Muse (Mouseion: Journal of the Classical Association of Canada, Volume 11, Number 3, 2011, LV—Series III, pp. 395–398).