Ph.D., political science
|Children||Yngve A. A. Larsson|
Gustaf Richard Yngve Larsson (Swedish:
Yngve Larsson was born in Sundsvall but moved to Stockholm in the early 1890s with his family. He studied in Uppsala and was for a time active in radical politics. His graduate studies took place partly in Heidelberg and Berlin, and his doctoral thesis of 1913 focused on issues of urban planning and city administration, which would be the focus of his later career.
Originally a Social Democrat, Larsson was expelled from the party in 1915 for proposing Swedish collaboration with Germany in order to guarantee Finland's independence from Russia. After a few years outside party politics, he joined the Liberal Party in the late 1920s and, after a merger, was a successful candidate for the People's Party (currently The Liberals).
He was a marked
They have developed an organization for city building that is second only to that of the London County Council. But it differs from that in having a broader, more complete goal and ideal. This has been due I think largely to Yngve Larsson's statesmanship; also to his sympathetic understanding with Markelius and Sidenbladh as architect-planners, and with Holger Blom (an architect, too), who makes the parks throughout Stockholm rich with blooming color.
Later judgments, however, have pointed at the sleazy preparatory work; it was for example assumed that the big corporations needed central offices in central Stockholm but when they were offered building lots after the clearances they declined. Stockholm Municipality was almost bankrupt in 1970 from having to fill the cleared lots at its own expense. Larsson came later to regret his own work and tried, in vain, to stop the clearances.
He was awarded several Swedish and foreign
- Yngve Larsson at Swedish Wikipedia
Literature in English
- ISBN 978-0-520-02718-3.
- ISBN 978-91-88882-17-2.
- Larsson, Yngve (1962). "Building a city and a metropolis : the planned development of Stockholm".
- Larsson, Yngve; Pieter de Wolff [in Dutch]; Lauchlin Currie (1967). Governmental planning and political economy. Royer Lectures. Berkeley, California: Institute of Business and Economic Research, Institute of Governmental Studies, University of California.
- Oser, Jacob (1967). "Reviewed work(s): Governmental Planning and Political Economy by Yngve Larsson; Pieter deWolff; Lauchlin Currie". Journal of Economic Issues. 1 (3): 244–246. JSTOR 4223854.
- Pass, David (1973). Vällingby and Farsta - from idea to reality: the new community development process in Stockholm. ISBN 978-0-262-16034-6.
- Skårfors, Rikard (1999). Beslutsfattandets dilemma: planarbete och opinionsyttringar rörande trafikleder i Stockholm 1945-1975. Working papers in transport and communication history, 1104-6988 ; 1999:2. Uppsala: Uppsala University.
- ISBN 978-0-8018-5756-0.
Media related to Yngve Larsson at Wikimedia Commons