Huntington Avenue Grounds
![]() | This article includes a improve this article by introducing more precise citations. (May 2020) ) |
Huntington Avenue Grounds | |
Boston, Massachusetts | |
Coordinates | 42°20′20.3″N 71°5′20.3″W / 42.338972°N 71.088972°W |
---|---|
Owner | Boston Red Sox |
Capacity | 11,500 |
Field size | Left Field – 350 ft Left-Center – 440 ft Center Field – 530 ft (1901), 635 ft (1908) Right Field – 280 ft (1901), 320 ft (1908) Backstop – 60 ft |
Construction | |
Broke ground | March 9, 1901 |
Opened | May 8, 1901 |
Closed | After 1911 season |
Demolished | 1912 |
Tenants | |
Boston Red Sox (MLB) 1901–1911 |
Huntington Avenue American League Baseball Grounds is the full name of the

The stadium was the site of the first World Series game between the modern American and National Leagues in 1903, and also saw the first perfect game in the modern era, thrown by Cy Young on May 5, 1904. The playing field was built on a former circus lot and was extremely large by modern standards - 530 feet (160 m) to center field, later expanded to 635 feet (194 m) in 1908. It had many quirks not seen in modern baseball stadiums, including patches of sand in the outfield where grass would not grow, and a tool shed in deep center field that was in play.

The park was built on a large plot of land bounded by Huntington Avenue (northwest, left field); Rogers (now Forsyth) Street (southwest, third base); railroad tracks (southeast, first base); and various buildings to the east (right field).
The Huntington Avenue Grounds was demolished after the Red Sox left at the beginning of the
The Cabot facility itself is barely over a quarter mile away to the southwest from another, still-standing Boston area sports facility of that era, Matthews Arena (built in 1910), the original home of the NHL's Boston Bruins when they started play in 1924.
Gallery
-
An early diagram of the grounds
-
Plan of the grounds
-
Huntington Avenue Grounds (left), August 5, 1911. Michael T. "Nuf Ced" McGreevy Collection, Boston Public Library
-
Huntington Avenue Grounds (right), August 5, 1911. Michael T. "Nuf Ced" McGreevy Collection, Boston Public Library