The Tsetse was a small American
The Tsetse had a boosted composite core which used 2.25 kg Pu-239, 1.4kg U-235 and 6g tritium.
The Tsetse primary was used in the US
After deployment of the B43 two problems were identified in the primary. In 1961 Los Alamos scientists concluded that the primary was not one point safe under all conditions. A long series of tests was needed to develop a safe version. The second problem was related to tritium aging. To investigate a lifetime extension of the B43 an aged B43 was fired. The test resulted in half the yield. This was quite a shock as it affected not only the B43 but all similar weapons. The solution was to more frequently replenish the tritium supply. This problem was apparently shared by the
Characteristics of these weapons are:
|Model||Max Yield (kt)||Diameter||Length||Weight|
|B43||1,000||18 in (46 cm)||150–164 in (3.8–4.2 m)||2,060 lb (930 kg)|
|10||13.75 in (34.9 cm)||25.3 in (0.64 m)||170 lb (77 kg)|
|W50||400||15.4 in (39 cm)||44 in (1.1 m)||410 lb (190 kg)|
|B57||20||14.75 in (37.5 cm)||118 in (3.0 m)||490 lb (220 kg)|
|W59||1,000||16.3 in (41 cm)||47.8 in (1.21 m)||550 lb (250 kg)|
Based on this information it can be assumed that the Tsetse design itself corresponds to the size of the W44 warhead, 349-millimetre (13.75 in) diameter and 640-millimetre (25.3 in) long, with a weight of around 77 kilograms (170 lb).
- List of nuclear weapons
- Teller-Ulam design
- Python primary
- AWPC (1959). AWPAC/8/5 (Report).
- Hansen, Chuck (1995a). The Swords of Armageddon. Vol. VI. Chukelea Publications.
- Hansen, Chuck (1995b). The Swords of Armageddon. Vol. VII. Chukelea Publications.
- Hansen, Chuck (2001). "Beware the old story". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. 57 (2): 52–55.
- Miller, G.H.; Brown, P.S.; Alonso, C.T. (1987). Report to Congress on stockpile reliability, weapon remanufacture, and the role of nuclear testing (Report). OSTI 6032983.
- Moore, R. (2010). Nuclear Illusion, Nuclear Reality: Britain, the United States and Nuclear Weapons, 1958-64. Springer. ISBN 9780230251403.