Seventy-sixth session of the United Nations General Assembly
|Seventy-sixth session of the United Nations General Assembly|
|Host country||United Nations|
|Venue(s)||United Nations Headquarters|
|Cities||New York City, United States|
|Participants||United Nations Member States|
The Seventy-sixth session of the United Nations General Assembly is the ongoing session of the United Nations General Assembly which was opened on 14 September 2021. The President of the UN General Assembly is from Asia-Pacific Group.
Organisation for the session
In his vision statement, Shahid laid out some of his priorities for the session. Specifically, a stronger and more effective United Nations to inspire unity and solidarity, and above all hope. His "Five Rays of Hope” include recovering from COVID-19, rebuilding sustainably, responding to the needs of the planet, respecting the rights of all and revitalising the united nations. He also pledged that his team would be gender balanced, multi-national and geographical diverse. Finally he pledged to uphold the rules of procedure of the General Assembly for him, his team and the entire Assembly.
The General Assembly elected the following countries as the vice-presidents of the 76th session:
As well as the following nations:
The following were elected Chairs and Officers of the General Assembly's Main Committees for the 76th Session:
|H.E. Omar Hilale||Morocco||Chair|
|Vacant, Latin American and Caribbean Group||Vice-chair|
|Amir Hamzah Mohd Nasir||Malaysia||Vice-chair|
|Saša Milanović||Bosnia and Herzegovina||Vice-chair|
|Sanna Leena Orava||Finland||Rapporteur|
|H.E. Egriselda Aracely González López||El Salvador||Chair|
|Lukáš Peter Prvý||Slovakia||Vice-chair|
|Youssouf Aden Moussa||Djibouti||Rapporteur|
|H.E. Vanessa Frazier||Malta||Chair|
|Claudia Larue||Dominican Republic||Vice-chair|
|Mohamed Siad Doualeh||Djibouti||Chair|
|Joongil Shin||Republic of Korea||Vice-chair|
|Devita Abraham||Trinidad and Tobago||Vice-chair|
|H.E. Mher Margaryan||Armenia||Chair|
|Ahmed Mohamed Ismail Elmahs||Egypt||Vice-chair|
|Mohammed Abdulaziz Alateek||Saudi Arabia||Vice-chair|
|H.E.Alya Ahmed bin Saif al-Thani||Qatar||Chair|
|Ricardo García López||Spain||Vice-chair|
|Ana L. Villalobos||Costa Rica||Rapporteur|
As is tradition before each session of the General Assembly, the Secretary-General drew lots to see which member state would occupy the first seat in the General Assembly Chamber, with the other member states following according to the English translation of their name. For the 76th Session, Suriname was selected to sit in the first seat by Secretary-General António Guterres. This same order is followed in the six main committees, as well as other United Nations bodies.
The agenda for the 76th session, will be approved by the General Committee prior to the opening of the Session.
Each member of the General Assembly will have a representative speaking about issues concerning their country and the hopes for the coming year as to what the UNGA will do. This is an opportunity for the member states to opine on international issues of their concern.
The order of speakers is given first to member states, then observer states and supranational bodies. Any other observers entities will have a chance to speak at the end of the debate, if they so choose. Speakers will be put on the list in the order of their request, with special consideration for ministers and other government officials of similar or higher rank. According to the rules in place for the General Debate, the statements should be in of the United Nations official languages of Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish, and will be translated by the United Nations translators. Each speaker is requested to provide 350 advance copies of their statements to the conference officers to facilitate translation and to be presented at the podium.
- "Election of the 76th President of the General Assembly". United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 5 August 2021.
- "A Presidency of Hope: Vision statement by H.E. Mr. Abdulla Shahid, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of the Maldives, candidate for the Presidency of the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly" (PDF). United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 5 August 2021.
- "Electing Maldives Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid President of Seventy-Sixth Session, General Assembly Selects Main Committee Bureaus, Economic and Social Council Members". United Nations Meetings Coverage and Press Releases. United Nations. 7 June 2021. Retrieved 5 August 2021.
- Ruder, Nicole; Nakano, Kenji; Aeschlimann, Johann (2017). Aeschlimann, Johann; Regan, Mary (eds.). The GA Handbook: A Practical Guide to the United Nations General Assembly (PDF) (2nd ed.). New York: Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the United Nations. pp. 17, 86–88. ISBN 978-0-615-49660-3.
- United Nations General Assembly Session 75 Memorandum 1. Organization of the seventy-fifth regular session of the General Assembly, adoption of the agenda and allocation of items A/BUR/75/1 page 5. 15 September 2020. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "63rd Session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme: Information Note" (PDF). United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. United Nations. n.d. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 June 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2019.